In darkness [videorecording] / Sony Pictures Classics ; a Schmidtz Katze Filmkollektiv, Zebra Film Studio, the Film Works production ; directed by Agnieszka Holland ; written by David F. Shamoon ; produced by Steffen Reuter [and others].
- Culver City, Calif. : Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 videodisc (approximately 144 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Holland, Agnieszka, 1948-
Shamoon, David F.
Knaup, Herbert, 1956-
Fürmann, Benno, 1972-
Grochowska, Agnieszka, 1979-
Schrader, Maria, 1965-
Dylewska, Jola, 1958-
Łazarkiewicz, Antoni, 1980-
Marshall, Robert, 1952-
Schmidtz Katze Filmkollektiv
Studio Filmowe Zebra
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (Firm)
Sony Pictures Classics (Firm)
Beta Cinema (Firm)
- Language Note:
- Polish dialogue; optional English subtitles.
- Leopold Socha is a sewer worker and petty thief in Lvov, a Nazi-occupied city in Poland. One day he encounters a group of Jews trying to escape the liquidation of the ghetto. He hides them for money in the labyrinth of the town's sewers beneath the bustling activity of the city above. What starts out as a straightforward and cynical business arrangement turns into something very unexpected, the unlikely alliance between Socha and the Jews as the enterprise seeps deeper into Socha's conscience--Container.
- Audience Notes:
- MPAA rating: R; for violence, disturbing images, sexuality, nudity and language.
- Based on the book: In the sewers of Lvov / Robert Marshall.
Originally released as a motion picture in 2011.
"Beta Cinema presents"--Container.
Includes 5 previews of other motion pictures.
Special features: An evening with Agnieszka Holland; In light : a conversation with Agnieszka Holland and Holocaust survivor Krystyna Chiger; theatrical trailer.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Director of photography, Jolanta Dylewska ; editing, Michael Czarnecki ; music, Antoni Komasa-Lazarkiewicz.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Herbert Knaup, Benno Furmann, Agnieszka Grochowska, Robert Wieckiewicz, Maria Schrader, Kinga Preis.
- Technical Details:
- DVD; region 1; anamorphic widescreen (1.85:1); Dolby Digital 5.1.
- No public performance rights. Classroom instruction and home use permitted.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2013
- Academy Award Nomination for Best Foreign Language Film.
View MARC record | catkey: 9761678