All about words : increasing vocabulary in the common core classroom, prek-2 / Susan B. Neuman and Tanya S. Wright ; forword by Timothy Shanahan
- Common core state standards for literacy series
- Why words are important -- The age of common core state standards -- All about words -- Common myths about oral vocabulary development -- Key principles for teaching oral vocabulary development -- Creating a vocabulary-rich environment -- The physical environment -- Enriching the verbal environment -- Summary -- Building children's vocabulary -- The problem -- A content-rich approach to vocabulary instruction -- A teaching sequence -- A self-teaching approach -- Supporting content-rich vocabulary instruction through book reading -- Types of text -- Text sets -- Applying the instructional regime to text sets -- Conclusions -- Grouping for vocabulary instruction -- Organizing vocabulary instruction in the age of common core standards -- Creating a comprehensive vocabulary program -- Conclusions -- How do we know children are learning? -- Assessing vocabulary development -- Assessment activities -- Evidence of children's learning -- Reducing vocabulary disparities through high-quality instruction -- Examples of text sets -- Examples of vocabulary terms children should know, preK-grade 2.
- " ... A practical guide designed to help early childhood teachers take advantage of the unique opportunity provided by the common core state standards. It offers strategies for planning and presenting vocabulary instruction and for monitoring children's word learning progress, along with helpful appendices that provide specific guidance on which words to teach"--Cover, page .
- 9780807754443 (pbk. : alk. paper), 0807754447 (pbk. : alk. paper), 9780807754450 (hardcover : alk. paper), and 0807754455 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 153-156) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 9761810