Aeronomy of the middle atmosphere : chemistry and physics in the Stratosphere and Mesosphere / by Guy Brasseur and Susan Solomon
- Brasseur, Guy
- Dordrecht, Holland ; Boston : D. Reidel Pub. Co. Hingham, MA : Sold and distributed in the U.S.A. and Canada by Kluwer Academic Publishers, c1984.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 441 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Solomon, Susan, 1956-
- THE MIDDLE ATMOSPHERE: Evolution of the Earth's atmosphere -- Possible perturbations -- CHEMICAL CONCEPTS IN THE ATMOSPHERE: Thermodynamic considerations -- Elementary chemical kinetics -- Terms symbols and their use Photolysis processes -- Excited species in the middle atmosphere -- STRUCTURE AND DYNAMICS: Vertical structure and some observed dynamical characteristics -- Fundamental description of atmospheric dynamics -- Effects of dynamic on chemical species -- General circulation models -- Dynamics of the stratosphere in two dimensions: a conceptual view -- The importance of wave transience and dissipation -- One-dimensional representations of the atmosphere -- RAIATION: Solar radiation at the top of the atmosphere -- Radiative transfer -- Thermal effects of radiation -- Photochemical effects of radiation -- COMPOSITION AND CHEMISTRY: Oxygen compounds -- Carbon compounds -- Hydrogen compounds -- Nitrogen compounds -- Chlorine compounds -- Other halogens -- Sulfur compounds and formation of aerosol -- Generalized ozone balance-- THE IONS: Formation of ions in the middle atmosphere -- Positive chemistry -- Negative ion chemistry -- Effect of ionic processes on neutral constituents -- Radio waves in the lower ionosphere -- POSSIBLE PERTURBATIONS AND ATMOSPHERIC RESPONSES: The importance of coupling in the study of perturbations -- The effect of changes in the solar radiance -- Particle precipitation -- Volcanic emissions -- Anthropogenic emissions.
- Errata slip inserted p. 431.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographies and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 991259